Dear WXNA listeners,
How are you doing? We hope you’re well. It may not have even occurred to some of you that it’s April yet, and we completely understand. It’s difficult to identify time as a relevant measurement at all these days, but we’re here to remind you: April is National Poetry Month! All month long—you still have three weeks left to celebrate! Perhaps poetry can be a comfort to you in such a surreal time—what better art form to mirror that?
Here are some ways you can engage with poetry this month:
- Subscribe to the Poetry Foundation’s Poem-of-the-day newsletter for a poem delivered to your inbox every day.
- Take a writing class from The Porch, Nashville’s nonprofit literary center, now offering online classes.
- Listen to the archive of DJ Lauren’s beautiful and expansive Poetry Month episode on her show Different Every Time last Monday!
- Listen to this archived episode of Transmission with Jmar, where he speaks with the folks behind Nashville-based independent press, April Gloaming (originally aired in February).
- Listen to DJ LT’s show The Crack in Everything, where it’s poetry month all the time! You can also participate in her new series, QUARAN-QUILT OF POETRY, by sending her a reading of a favorite poem (can be yours or someone else’s) to her email at laurenashturner [at] gmail [dot] com. It will be shared on-air alongside other readings, quilted into a communal moment of poetry.
And, most importantly—don’t forget to take some time to pause in stillness or listen to your radio or the birds singing their poetry month poems for you. Please, take care!